OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2010

From:
Dennis McDonnell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dennis McDonnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Jul 2010 06:13:59 -0700
In the heat of the day yesterday I took my first ever visit to Wake Robin Trail
in the Mentor Marsh, seeing mostly butterflies and dragonflies.  There was one
group of about 13 almost fully grown wood ducklings with mom and three
mallards.  I stopped on the square platform and studied the water's edge to the
west for a bit hoping to see the Virginia Rails, then just sat for about twenty
minutes when an adult flew from the high stuff on the western side almost right
over my head to the fragmites (sp?) on the east side of the boardwalk...first
ever for me.  No chicks in sight.  Lots of goldfinches also.

Along the Chagrin, just north of the Chagrin River Park from the west side of
the river spotted an immature bald eagle heading south over the river back thru
the park.  Also lots of goldfinches here.