OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2010

From:
Scott Hannan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
[log in to unmask][log in to unmask]

-----Original Message-----
From: Ohio birds [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of
Andy Sewell
Sent: Wednesday, July 07, 2010 5:02 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [Ohio-birds] More osprey nests, purple martins

It's highly unlikely that the 1831 sighting was of European Starlings,
as they were not successful introduced to North America until 1890.
Perhaps it was not the physical appearance of the birds that so offended
the author of the 1831 letter, but [...]40_7Jul201017:55:[log in to unmask]
Date:
Sun, 18 Jul 2010 22:37:42 EDT
Funk Bottoms WA (stop giggling!  if you haven't been there, you are
missing out)

7/18 -- 6:30-7:30 PM, just ahead of the blessed storm

Quite a bit of shorebird habitat right near the viewing platform

1.)  Common Moorhen --- either a mated pair, or some really close frat
buddies;
2.)  Sandhill Crane -- at least 22, look to be some young among  them
3.)  Green Heron -- more than usual, and very vocal;
4.)  Great Blue Heron -- 6-7
5.)  Shorebirds not-to-be-otherwise-specified-except-not-Killdeer ((
snicker ))

Also, made it to the Wilderness Center today.  Fantastic  bookstore.  Lots
of Odonates, now I'm hooked (yes, i got THE book, thanks,  Roche and
Brumfield!)

Scott H
Wooster