OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2010

From:
Kathi Hutton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 2010 06:33:23 -0500
To Daniel B and others looking for Barn Owls in Ohio,

There is a pair, perhaps with young, nesting in a sycamore tree in Higginsport, Brown County, along the Ohio River in SW Ohio.  The following information is courtesy of Chris and Suzanne Clingman, via the Cincinnati Birds message board:

"We checked the nest tree last night (July 15) at 9:30 PM. We pulled up to the tree with our windows open and could hear the Barn owls calling. We pulled a little way pass the tree and got out to take a look. We saw one sitting on a short snag next to the trunk of the tree. That bird flew off to the clump of trees near the river. It returned to the tree and circled it and then flew off to grove of trees in "center field". It came back and met with another owl in the top of the tree. They seemed to be unsettled by our presence, so we move to the restaurant parking lot. We saw a couple more flights and all the while we were there we could hear owls calling. Even while at the restaurant. We stayed until 10:00 PM and they were still active and noisy when we left."

"The restaurant is on State Route 52 on the east side of town. If you are heading east on 52 it is the last building on the right hand side and is on the corner of White Oak Street (which is also St Route 221 if you turn left). There is an old baseball field behind the restaurant on the floodplain. If you turn on White Oak Street and head towards the river, one block down is Washington Street. Washington Street ends at White Oak Street. If you were driving East on Washington Street you would run into the tree if the street didn't end and the guardrail wasn't there. "

Jay Lehman and I were both there on Sat, July17, about 9:30pm and saw/heard 2 birds.  If you go, take insect repellent.  The mosquitoes are hungry and I received numerous bites in a very short time.

Still scratching,
~Kathi Hutton
SW Ohio

Visit me at: