OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2010

From:
Fred Dinkelbach <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Fred Dinkelbach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Jul 2010 12:25:42 -0400
Following yesterday's post about the Sedge Wren seen at the Richfield
Coliseum property (CVNP, Summit Co.), I headed out this morning and found
FIVE. Everywhere I walked, every 1-2 hundred yards, there was another
Sedge Wren actively singing in the open - and I only covered about one-
half of the quarter-mile-square area. Two of the wrens seen were carrying
a piece of dried grass to a location closer to the ground near their
singing perch - presumably nesting material. A pair of serious
photographers joined me and as they were watching one of the wrens they
saw a second wren hidden down in the grass where the other had delivered
nesting material - bringing the morning's total to six - but now I have to
wonder how many of these birds had a mate hiding at a nest location.

Also seen were 4-5 Henslow's Sparrows, 3 Savannahs (singing today, they
were silent 2 weeks ago), about 30 Bobolinks, mostly juveniles (2 weeks
prior it was twice as many, and most were adults), several meadowlarks.

Fred Dinkelbach