OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2010

Date:
Fri, 23 Jul 2010 13:26:40 -0400
Bill Whan commented on the apparent decline in the numbers of Red-headed Woodpeckers in Ohio from once being the most common to today when they are much more difficult to locate in many parts of Ohio. A major cause of this is quite likely the destruction of habitat. Figures I constantly read indicate that 90 percent of Ohio's wetlands have been destroyed. Red-headed Woodpeckers are usually associated with wetlands that have dead trees which the species nests in. Too many people consider this type of habitat to be useless and there fore they fill them in and put up a parking lot, big-box store or other development and think nothing has been lost. Au Contraire, so many species of bird, fish, reptile, amphibian, etc. depend on this habitat for reproduction and general survival that its loss in incalculable.

When I initially moved to Ohio in 1974 Red-headed Woodpeckers were easy to locate at Killdeer Plains Wildlife Area and other suitable locations. Today Red-headed Woodpecker the population at Killdeer Plains seems much lower than it was in the 1970's and 1980's, and other locations around the state where I once had no trouble finding them. Most of these locations have had their habitat alter considerably by private land owners and departments of the State of Ohio. I get the impression that the state has altered the habitat to accommodate hunters by making it more suitable for Ring-necked Pheasant and other game birds. I won't get into an argument on whether such changes are justified as it is not my place to do so, but rather merely relate that I think this is having a notable effect on the Red-headed Woodpecker population.

There are bright spots though. I have been associated with the Hoover Nature Preserve in Delaware County since its creation in 1987. Hoover Reservoir is the main source of drinking water for the City of Columbus and is managed by the city. Realizing the significance of the habitat at the far north end of the reservoir Columbus' government, i.e. the Mayor, City Council, Watershed Division and Recreation & Parks Department, in conjunction with public input and support by the Columbus and State Audubon Societies among other organizations, had the foresight to preserve and protect this important habitat. Because of the city's action in 1987 and their support ever since, the Hoover Nature Preserve has flurished and as noted by Jim McCormac in Birds of Ohio, Hoover Reservoir is considered to be among the top 20 Ohio birding spots. In 2010 I have documented 11 nesting pairs of Red-headed Woodpeckers within the boundaries of the preserve and another 4 pair nearby.

I have been volunteering with the Ohio Breeding Bird Altas II project which began in 2006 and with the extension will conclude after the 2011 nesting season. I initially adopted 6 blocks (all those coving parts of the Hoover Nature Preserve) and I have since worked in 13 additional blocks. In covering blocks in Franklin, Delaware, Licking, Morrow and Knox Counties I have located Red-headed Woodpeckers in most. The numbers have been low in most of the counties relative to Delaware County which has a healthy population in appropriate habitat. I assume there are additional hot spots, but the best areas, probably because of spend more time there, are within the Hoover Nature Preserve, especially at Mudhen Marsh, Hoover Meadows, Area N, Old Sunbury Road and the back section of Twin Bridges. Those specific areas hosted a collective 9 nesting pairs this year.

I would be interested in knowing what other areas about the state have strong and stable Red-headed Woodpecker populations. If you care to share information you can send it to me directly rather than through the ohio-birds listserve.

Charlie Bombaci
Hoover Nature Preserve
You cannot begin to preserve any species of animal unless you preserve the habitat in which it dwells. Disturb or destroy that habitat and you will exterminate the species as surely as if you had shot it. So conservation means that [we] have to preserve forest and grassland, river and lake, even the sea itself. This is vital not only for the preservation of animal life generally, but for the future existence of man himself—a point that seems to escape many people.
-Gerald Durrell, The Nature Conservancy