OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2010

From:
Dave Hess <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Hess <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jul 2010 15:41:07 -0400
Wish I could have posted yesterday, but not enough time.

Had a couple of good birds while doing some survey work over at Seip Mound in Western Ross Co. yesterday(Thus.) morning.

 Bruce Lombardo(RC for pg. 77) had tipped me off on a courting pair of N.Harriers over there a couple weeks back. So I was on the lookout for them. I had 4 Harriers in the air at the same time..at least 3 were imm. birds, flying ok,..but not landing so good! Several times they tried to land on tree tops to small and week for them, only to tumble off. I watched one do a easy crash landing on the ground too!

I got within 40 ft. of one of them before it flew, as it was perched on a small tree, not much fear of me at all.

I never saw the Adult Male, or Adult Female(for sure), altho one of the 4 could have been her, I lost sight of that one, so there could have been 4 Imm. total.

They were very vocal as well, keeping in contact with each other with their high pitch call, I have to say was new to me..I have heard  it on the tape, but never in person.

This is a Code 3 bird for the Breeding Bird Atlas 2.. a big thanks to Bruce for the tip on this one!

So, they did breed here this yr.. Harriers in Southern Ohio in mid-July..felt strange for sure! I do see a few on the Atlas Map, but few and far between.

Also had 1 Vesper over there working a dirt rd. The white in the tail surprised me, with all the Song Sparrows around..take nothing for granted!

One more bird note..also flushed up a to young to fly Ring-necked Pheasant..I know it's an introduced bird, but throwed me as it "ran" down the path!

54 Species for the morning, and a couple great birds.

Delorme-PG 77 C7

Dave Hess
SVBNC
Chillicothe