OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2010

From:
Tom Bain <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 23 Jul 2010 17:16:21 -0400
The falcon is in the eye of the beholder--it's art, not science. I see falcon, not parakeet, in the image at the link in my previous post. Others may see parakeet. The clincher for me is the down-looping groove, a bold line cut into the head of the bird that I interpret as an attempt to outline the peregrine's "hood". The Carolina Parakeet's red-masked yellow hood plumage pattern is altogether different, I think.

Effigies of peregrines and other longish animals were intentionally shortened by their Hopewell craftsmen, carved unnaturally chubby (more parakeet-like in the case of the peregrine) so they could be cut short enough to stand off from the user's nose when smoking and to hold the right amount of tobacco or kinnikinnick or whatever was to be smoked in a pipe carved with enough mass left to cool the smoke just the right amount before it entered the smokers' mouths. Of course, all of this is just speculation on my part, founded in my Western tradition of interpretation.

Thanks to Bill Whan for his review of the historical status of the Peregrine Falcon in Ohio. I am not aware of any data collected by accepted sources confirming peregrines as native Ohio breeders when Ohio was settled, or after, as I have stated previously. Our system for including species on Ohio's list requires a consistent level of certainty for each included species, so far as can be practiced. The peregrine falls short, at this time, and maybe it always will.

Did peregrines breed in Ohio before Europeans changed the landscape? Yes, I think so--just my opinion. Should they be included on Ohio's list? No, species are excluded a priori. Only accepted evidence overrides exclusion. We don't possess accepted evidence, that is all.

Peregrines occupy landscape-scale niches. They spread into new habitat dendritically, following major drainage systems, in the east. Large lakes, major rivers, and large streams offered limited habitat along riparian corridors and shorelines. It doesn’t make sense to me that peregrines would not have used this habitat, in small numbers, during pulses of increased population levels throughout pre-historic time and proceeding into our early contact period.

Unfortunately, these corridors and shorelines ensured close contact with spreading European populations very early during settlement as pioneers traveled by boat to penetrate the Ohio Country with their heavy cargo. I'll bet Ohio River Valley peregrines and Lake Erie shoreline peregrines didn't last through the first decade of the 1800's. There was too little opportunity for accepted sources to see them well or shoot them and keep specimens. Unaccepted sources did report them. The stone-falcon and the hawk'O the rocks, and the Hopewell effigies are strongly suggestive, that is all.

A few days ago I was driving westbound on I670 through Columbus OH in heavy traffic at about 60 mph when a flock of pigeons wheeled sharply ahead, then a peregrine immediately appeared between my vehicle and the pigeons near an old red brick building to the north of the freeway--the peregrine only a few tens of meters away from me and higher in elevation. I'm always excited to see a peregrine on the prowl. I did not need optics to see enough to interpret the shape, behavior, and the plumage pattern of the bird. Its hood made quite an impression. Interestingly, I did not notice the feet of the "great-footed hawk". Nonetheless, the falcon made an impression on me. I'm not poet enough to fully express my impression of a winging peregrine.

Tom Bain
The Central Ohio Clayey Till Plain
Delaware County, Ohio