OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2010

From:
Greg Links <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Greg Links <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Jul 2010 08:35:48 -0700
Here in the Northwest, Red-headed Woodpeckers are common in the (managed) oak savannah habitat of the Oak Openings.  They are uncommon, but widespread, elsewhere.  Open woodlands (including mature golf courses), woodlots out in farm country, wooded swamps with plenty of dead trees and even mature swamp forest (like at Secor Metropark just west of Toledo) all have their populations.

The history of the Red-headed Woodpecker in NW Ohio over the last 30 years or so (the time I have been birding) is also interesting.  I remember as a kid birding in the early 80's, Red-headed Woodpeckers were easy to find (relatively speaking) pretty much across the area.  I have journal entries from the Oak Openings area, Maumee State Forest, Crane Creek State Park (as it was known back in the day) and even some neighborhood locations, in all seasons, that reflect its former numbers here.  I was fairly oblivious to habitat preference back then, and I certainly wasn't looking for them specifically.

Slowy but ever so surely, they became harder and harder to find and I believe this was probably part of an overall population trend; there just weren't many around.  The best place to see Red-headed Woodpeckers became along the lakeshore in migration as nesting birds were much more localized.

I'm not sure when exactly, but at some point they decided to start managing some forest areas in the oak openings for oak savannah.  This was a real boon to Red-headed Woodpeckers among other species (Summer Tanager, Eastern Bluebirds) and the comeback began.  These management practices didn't come without a price to other species of course, but I'd venture a guess that most have been okay with the trade-offs (unless you are an Ovenbird).

There are more Red-headed Woodpeckers now in NW Ohio than at any other point in my lifetime.  And that is not a bad thing.

Greg Links
Somewhere near Toledo