OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2010

Date:
Sat, 24 Jul 2010 20:16:09 -0400
Went to the fish hatchery  first and  upon pulling in seen 3 Great Egrets. We started to drive to the upper ponds and came across a sandpiper.   My shorebird ID'ing  leaves a lot to be desired but I am thinking this was a juvenile spotted sandpiper but the distinct eyering and dark bar theu the eye has me wondering,, open for   correction if  that info helps. We went up to the upper ponds and there was an adult and an juvenile Herring Gull ,, got really good pictues of both. The ponds are all full at the hatchery right  now. We headed over toward Mercer Wildlife Refuge and made a pass thru  Harmon's Landing . Another Great Egret there. Pulled into Mercer by the outhouses and looked up the stone road and  in the shallow area on the right  of the road could see some shorebird movement. there were lesser yellowlegs there and we also after hard looks and some distant photos  determined that  they were short billed dowitchers. Life bird for me. the thing that stood out about the dowitchers was the buffy almost light golden color of their breast and the long beak. Also the barring on the head when looking straight on at them and also when the one turned sideways  it looked as if it had a black cap . We went into Celina  but didn't locate the Eurasian Collared Doves . We have seen them before but not this trip. Sorry for the poor ID skills  but am working on them and hopefully some one may get over there and see what we saw and remember birds have wings so don't be disappointed if they aren't there  if ya go. I do have photos of  them from today  if anyone would like me to send  them to see if they can ID them.  The dowitchers were at a good distance  but iIstill believe  I got a good ID on them   Russell  Lima, Ohio