OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2010

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Jul 2010 14:38:56 -0400
I visited several of the wetlands along Darby Creek west of Columbus yesterday looking for shorebirds, with limited success. The Avocets found earlier in the Darby Dan wetlands along Darby Creek Drive could not be relocated, but there are lots of small marshes in the area, so they could have been further off the road than I could explore.  Shorebirds I did find included 60+ Kildeer, 1 Solitary Sandpiper, 4 Lesser Yellowlegs, 1 Spotted Sandpiper, 1 Common Snipe, and 2 Least Sandpipers.  The wetlands here look good, but are difficult to view from the road or the multi-use path without some off-trail walking.  I also stopped at Darby Bend Lakes (only Kildeer), Prairie View ponds (only Kildeer), and the Clover cemetery wetlands (no shorebirds).

Shorebirds were not the only thing starting to move in these areas.  I also noted

Great Egret - 1 was at the Clover cemetery wetlands

Eastern Kingbirds - 1-2 at most of the wetlands, where they haven't been all summer

Purple Martins - 10 were 'talking' to one another in the treeline at Prairie View access (of Prairie Oaks), while another 2-3 were at Darby Bend lakes and along the Alton Road greenbelt.

Cliff Swallows - 2-4 were at both the Darby Dan wetlands and Darby Bend Lakes, far from any breeding colonies.

Orioles - conspicuously absent from areas that held them for most of May through early July.  The only one I saw was a female Baltimore....flying south over Darby Bend Lakes.

Redwings - while not exactly early migrants, many are already joining big post-breeding flocks.  I had one flock of 100+ birds at Clover cemetery wetlands, while another flock of 40+ birds was at Darby Dan wetlands.