OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2010

Date:
Sun, 4 Jul 2010 23:22:20 -0400
  Today was a day of "questionable" sightings.

First of all I heard a different call today and it has made me ask, is
it possible to have a least flycatcher this far south at this time of
year?  The maps have them in Canada right now.

BUT

I have one that I have spotted and heard along the river bank here in La
Rue.  It is definitely smaller  than most flycatchers I have seen.  and
the call is a...raspy short chip of a call...over and over and over...it
never stopped.  Could be an immature Willow, but I have never heard a
willow call out anything but their normal call.  It stayed in one area
and hid in the "bushes".  It came out in the open only twice in ten minutes.

Other birds spotted today included a female Oriole, no male to help ID
it...But we have had Baltimores in the area so it is probably a Baltimore.

I also saw the tail end of a male Am. Redstart.  It flew across the
river before I could ID it positively

Chimney swifts by the bucket load(20+)....Anyone know how to locate a
Swift roost?  How far do they roam from it?  What to look for, etc.

I had some sort of small raptor fly over...to quick to ID, but it was
larger than a kestrel...maybe a peregrine...maybe.

Like I said, lots of questionables...which just gives me an excuse to go
out tomorrow and spend the rest of my holiday off, birding...with my
camera. ;-D

See you out there

Steve J.
aka sjlarue