OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2010

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jul 2010 17:22:12 -0400
I visited several sites on these reservoirs north of Columbus yesterday and today looking for shorebirds and early landbird migrants. At Hoover, I stopped at Hoover dam and Oxbow Island, while at Alum Creek Lake, I visited New Galena boat launch and the beach/visitors' center area.  Water levels are still too high for most shorebirds; Alum Creek Lake is very high, while Hoover Reservoir is just starting to get some exposed shoreline.  Notables included:

Cormorants - a few lurking around Hoover

Shorebirds - small numbers of Kildeer at many locations.  The only other sandpiper was a single Least Sandpiper on the Alum Creek Lake beach.

Larids - big influx of Ring-billed Gulls, with 60-80 around Hoover dam yesterday and 370 on Alum Creek Lake beach today.  An immature Herring Gull was at Hoover dam, while 2 Caspian Terns were at ALum Creek Lake beach.

Purple Martins - small #s of migrants, with 2-3 at both Hoover Dam yesterday and at New Galena boat launch on Alum today.

other Swallows - a few Cliff Swallows were still feeding large young at the Hoover dam colony, while the Alum Creek Lake dam colony seems finished.  Barn Swallows were at many places, but never in large numbers.

E.Kingbirds - small #s at many shore locations on both lakes.  The upcoming week may be their peak migration period.

Yellow Warblers - fair numbers, with 3 migrants at Hoover Dam and another 4-5 at New Galena boat launch on Alum.

Orioles - nothing at either location, which is very surprising.  Have they mostly left for the season?