OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2010

From:
Fred Dinkelbach <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Fred Dinkelbach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jul 2010 23:14:24 -0400
Last night (7/26/2010) while walking along the hemlocks at the lower
Ledges Trail in the Cuyahoga Valley Natl. Park’s Kendall Ledges, I heard
at least one singing Winter Wren (maybe two, but I think this one just
covered a lot of ground) and observed two adult and three juvenile Juncos.
There was an off-sounding vireo, but I couldn’t locate it to see if it was
a Blue-headed that have nested there in the past. I heard no thrushes
there, however, like I have in previous years – maybe it’s too late in the
summer (one year there were Wood, Swainson’s and Veery there all within a
hundred yards). All of this was along the SE stretch from Ice Box Cave
south.

Friday, at the CVNP Ira Road beaver marsh, I heard at least one Marsh
Wren.

That makes five wren species for July for Summit County, not bad (starting
with the coliseum property’s Sedge Wrens).

Fred Dinkelbach