OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2010

Date:
Wed, 28 Jul 2010 13:56:47 -0400
Greetings. Pickerington Ponds Metropark (Franklin and Fairfield Co.) is starting to look better for shorebirds now. I had a decent variety last night and this morning there at the Blue Wing Pond that is alongside Bowen Road, at the Wood Duck area parking lot. (For maps see www.metroparks.net). The main turnover I noticed over night were the disappearance of the 20 Great Egrets that were there last night (could be in another part of the park, since I only visited this one area) and the Least Sandpipers were diminished. Also worth checking is the Wood Duck viewing area by the blind at this same parking lot (headback away from the road to the east about 250 yards). Highlights:
Short-billed Dowitcher - 1 adult
Pectoral Sandpiper - 3
Lesser Yellowlegs - 3
Solitary Sandpipers - 10+
Spotted Sandpiper - 1
Least Sandpiper - 20 yesterday, 4 today
Killdeer - 100+
Great Egret - 20 yesterday, none seen today
Great Blue Heron - 20+
Green Heron - 1
Green Winged Teal - 4, 2 Juv.!
Wood Duck - 10
Mallard - 50
Osprey - 2 one with a big Goldfish
Willow Flycatcher - 2
Barn Swallows - 80
Tree Swallows - 20
Cedar Waxwing - 6
Belted Kingfisher - 2
etc.
Hopefully I'll be able to check it semi-regularly but anyone else who can keep an eye on the place and post would help, shorebirds can show up out of the blue! Fun times.
Good Birding
?Ben Warner
Naturalist at Blacklick Woods Metro Park