OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2010

Date:
Sat, 31 Jul 2010 16:07:16 -0400
Thursday Rick Oxley, Richard Oxley and i were at Killdeer Plains WA and Big Island Wa. Most of the 50+ species we located weren't much to write home about but the few that were noteworthy all were upgrades for the OBBA in their respective blocks. I was surprised to see that there are many species that were initially recorded in the blocks as possible or probable have never been upgraded to confirmed. At Killdeer Plains WA we had confirmed breeding for Trumpeter Swans as we located two adults with two cygnets at Pond 3. Other species with young at Pond 3 include Wood Duck and Pied-billed Grebe.. Eastern Meadowlark was confirmed as we observed young fledglings. Near the Sportsman's Club we watched as an American Kestrel attempted to catch a meadowlark fledgling. At the last moment the fledgling dropped into high grass and barely escaped.

At Big Island WA we confirmed nesting for several species as we observed three separate family groups of Common Moorhen. The adults and fledglings were all in the open at the same time which eliminated any possibility of duplication. Richard's younger eyes enabled us to observed a family of Red-headed Woodpeckers. The immature's were doing their best to con a meal from the adults. Families of American Coot and Pied-billed Grebe were also upgrades for the OBBA.

Matthew Shumar recently pointed out the need to review atlas blocks for potential upgrades of species listed as potential or probable. My guess is that we could upgrade many species in blocks with prior coverage. Take a minute to review how species have been listed in blocks of interest to you and in the final push during 2011 many species can most likely be upgraded to confirmed.

With the current atlas season coming to a conclusion it's time to begin thinking Christmas Bird counts. Us Compilers definitely are.

Charlie Bombaci