OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2010

From:
Terry and Heli <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Terry and Heli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Jul 2010 18:49:15 -0400
My boys and I had a nice walk at Sandy Ridge today in the early afternoon.
I saw a flock of at least a dozen bluebirds in really dull plumage out by the water.
Most had very little blue except for the wing tips.
They were moving south through the dead trees together eating berries and bugs.
I don't think I have ever seen that many bluebirds at once.

I also saw a single red headed woodpecker in really drab plumage too. All gray except for the white on
the wings.

There were also a large number of tree swallows.

The only ducks I noticed were mallards and wood ducks with youngsters. The babies were really cute
exercising their bare wings.

A red eyed vireo snapped up berries at eye level along the trail in the woods.

A single drab yellowish warbler was along the ponds too but I couldn't identify it. It was evenly drab yellow
so I would have guessed a yellow or Wilson's. I heard a number of common yellow throats in other areas.

I listened for marsh wrens but I didn't see or hear any. I am not sure if they still inhabit the south side of the marsh.
They used to be numerous there but the grasses are much taller and the old area looked dry.

Terry