OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2010

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jul 2010 09:12:29 -0400
        I have several boxes of copies of Milton Trautman's "The Birds of
Buckeye Lake, Ohio" that I want to get into the hands of those who can
best use them.
        Their disposition has been entrusted to me on the terms that I give
them to those most likely to learn from them, and in turn teach others.
They are to be distributed free of charge, but I will ask for
reimbursement of packaging and mailing charges, 3-4 dollars a volume.
Those who can stop by my place, with prior arrangement, are welcome to
pick up a copy free of charge.
        I am happy to do this, and I offer them to readers of this list
herewith. This is a classic work, full of records of meticulous
observations, interesting anecdotes, histories of centuries of bird
distribution, and an overview of an entire ecological system. The
University of Michigan has posted a nice PDF of the entire work at
http://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/handle/2027.42/56289  which I invite
readers of this list to bookmark and look into; its search function
makes it particularly useful.
        Some of us, however, will want a hard copy. I have 26 available copies
of the first (and only, as far as I know) edition of 1940: it is a
sewn-binding paperback volume of 466 pages, including some B&W photos,
in the original protective wrapping.
        I have no idea how many will be interested in a copy, but I have 26,
and probably can get more (I will have to add a dollar or so to the
mailing charges for these). Write me if you want one. If I get many
requests over the next week or so, I will give preference to
writers/researchers about birds, reference librarians, educators, and
folks who seem to me to be influential in the birding community. I
reserve the right to ignore requests from non-birding book dealers, and
those who make bad Buckeye/Wolverine jokes. Let me know soon of your
interest.
Bill Whan
Columbus