OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2010

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jul 2010 15:27:29 -0400
        Other folks, who have forgotten more than I will ever know about
raptors, have wondered aloud what would prevent every little Ohio town
with a church steeple or a window ledge on a tall building having a pair
of peregrine falcons. Kenn accurately describes the havoc peregrines,
showing up at new times of the year, cause among flocks of migrating
shorebirds here. Others have pointed out the depredations their
unprecedented new nesting populations have caused among scarce
short-eared owls and endangered piping plovers along the Atlantic coast,
in places where indigenous peregrines are not known to have nested
before. I have posted diatribes about introduced falcons and their
effects on native birds on this forum before; I can send copies to
anyone interested, but will not repeat them now. Suffice it to say the
peregrine introduction projects have had some unanticipated and very
unfortunate side-effects.
        One thought I've had about the shifts in nesting sites for swifts and
swallows over the past century or more is that we humans now remove dead
trees from the landscape. They are regarded as untidy and a sign of
neglect, as widow-makers and eyesores. Yet in a state of nature they
were a prominent part of the natural scene, for all the species Kenn
mentions. See Audubon's account of the swift at
http://www.audubon.org/bird/boa/boa_index.html . Trautman in his "Birds
of Western Lake Erie" mentions having seen them nesting in large
sycamores, as Audubon had, "in at least four years since 1922."  I
haven't heard of any natural purple martin nests here since the early
1900s--has anyone else? Cliff swallows seem to be adapting more often: a
hundred years ago they were called "eave swallows," and nested
underneath eaves of barns, while barn swallows occupied the inside. For
many subsequent decades they were rare outside areas, such as in Amish
country, where traditional barns were present, but in recent decades
their populations have exploded as they've adapted to bridges. I have
seen over a thousand nests on the Rte 2 bridge south of Huron, and they
probably have occupied every bridge on the Scioto River from Columbus to
Portsmouth since then. I guess the big question is what happens to
species that have adapted to temporary artificial nest sites, like
chimneys, or wooden barns, or martin boxes. Will they adapt and find new
sites as we humans eliminate these sites? History proves that some
species do, and some don't. Naturally, we humans feel at fault when our
changes to the landscape are to blame. The question is how far we will
stretch the adaptability of these bird species that have become
dependent on our inadvertent assistance.
Bill Whan