OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2010

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 2010 08:43:29 -0400
A few tidbits encountered on other states' mailing lists:

(1) a molting black ruff was found at Bombay Hook the other day; I'll
keep an eye out for photos, but the chances are not so bad that this is
the bird many of us saw at Big Island WA in late April. This seems to be
the only ruff in the public eye now; it is a decidedly rare species,
withe very few if any reports in the east since April, and
readily-recognizable males come in numerous color combinations. This one
sounds like it could be the one we had. News on the Delaware list
http://www.birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/DEBD.html  Does anyone know of
any research/responsible speculation on the origin of eastern NA ruffs,
and have they ever bred here?

(2) Overall depressing news about the number of oiled birds successfully
cleaned and subsequently surviving. Radio text at
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=128320107  .
Just another reason to contribute to NPR.

(3) More detail on the phenomenal migratory capabilities of rufous
hummingbirds, with some good links to scientific articles:
http://www.burdr.com/2010/07/rufous-hummingbird-flies-from-florida-to-alaska/

(4) And just a reminder of the long-distance migrations just beginning:
http://alaska.usgs.gov/science/biology/shorebirds/barg_updates.html

Bill Whan
Columbus