OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2010

From:
Margaret Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Margaret Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 2010 12:16:33 -0400
I was out early this morning doing some OBBAII work in the Hickman blocks (northeast of Newark, mostly in Maryann Township, Licking Co.)

Besides the ubiquitous common yellowthroat, I was pleased but not too surprised to find:

hooded warbler (three locations)
cerulean warbler (one location)

What astounded me were:
Kentucky warbler (only the second in 4 years of OBBAII work)
prairie warbler (likewise, only the second)

I first heard what I thought was a prairie, and searched the shrubby habitat.  Caught a glimpse of a yellow bird, so I played the tape.  He responded!

I had at least three grasshopper sparrows buzzing their little hearts out.  There may have been a Henslow's, but it was down in the grass and wouldn't pish out.  It may have been a fledgling, considering how insistent its call was, so I left it "unidentified".  It was on an Amish farm with knee-high grass, large field, and just a few blackberry briars, suggesting it had not been mown for a year.  Good sparrow habitat.  This would have been my first Licking Co. Henslow's if I could have clinched the ID.  They have been reported by other OBBAII spotters in western Licking Co. so I'll keep watching.

There are still yellow warblers singing, even though it is past the safe dates for these now.  Also, I'm seeing many tree swallows, purple martins, and barn swallows, now that it's too late to record them.  (Safe date ended June 30.)  Also saw a green heron, also past the safe date.  Oh, well.  Pileated woodpeckers have been very quiet since March, but I heard and then saw one this morning.  All four common vireos are still singing on territory in proper habitats.  There are still some very good birds out there to find on OBBAII.  I worked three blocks and had about 75 species total, some of which didn't count (past safe date), and spread through three blocks.  Not bad for a morning's birding.

I saw my first parent eastern kingbird feeding a fledgling.  Cool!  A fledged red-tailed hawk was squawking and following his parent around, begging for something to eat.  Parent appeared to be saying, "Tough.  It's time for you do get your own."

Margaret Bowman
Licking Co., OH