OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2010

From:
Andy Sewell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andy Sewell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 2010 16:02:31 -0400
Speaking of Ospreys:

I participate in the North American Bird Phenology Program, run out of the USGS Patuxent Wildlife Research Center. I volunteer to convert information from bird sighting cards into their database. Basically, the BPP focused on recording the arrivals and departures of bird species on note cards, and ran from 1880 into the 1950s, amassing about 6 million cards. The current effort is compiling all that data into a modern database.

In the course of my data entry, I did come across an Osprey recording for Hillsboro from 1948, which included the first and last seen dates for both spring and fall migration. The first spring Osprey in Hillsboro was seen on April 9 and the last on June 1; the first fall Osprey was seen Sept. 19 and the last bird was on November 2nd.

Other interesting records that I've come across so far include Least Bittern in Oberlin, 1927, May 13-22, recorded by Lynds Jones, who described it as a common breeder; Nashville Warbler in Cleveland, 1935, recorded by Margarette E. Morse and noted as a breeder; and Snow Bunting in Columbus, November 10, 1928: 1 bird, noted as "rather rare."

Folks interested in participating can go here: http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/bpp/index.cfm

Cheers!
Andy Sewell
Columbus, Ohio