OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2010

From:
Darlene Sillick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Darlene Sillick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jul 2010 22:19:59 -0400
Yes, this year I had an interesting experience at a nestbox at Cardinal
Health in Dublin Ohio.  I finally evicted House Sparrows after about 3 weeks
of doing battle.  Then a family of Tree Swallows moved in building their
course grass nest lined beautifully with many curved feathers.  I thought
the next week I would see the white Tree Swallow eggs.  I came back the next
week and I opened it up and there were 5 Eastern Bluebird eggs inside the
feather cup.  I did a double take. The bluebirds had raised their first
brood in another box in the area and had started their second nest and had
started laying eggs on my last box check.  When I came back the bluebird
eggs were gone and certainly did not expect them to chase off the more
dominant swallow.  A big surprise indeed.  Wed. the bluebird eggs were
hatching which was indeed a bit different to peer through feathers to see
the newborn bluebird young.

I've had 3 different species of birds try to build their nest till one
finally won the battle at that nestbox.  The tenacious House Wren has no
problem totally emptying another nesting species then build its stick nest
in short order.  Each species I've worked with in a box has either taken
over another species or been the subject of this survival reproduction
technique.  Something new happens each year.  Monitoring nestboxes is a very
interesting hobby.  Interestingly, no one wants to use an old House Sparrow
nest.  But it works the other way around, with a vengeance...

Margaret, I hope it was ok to mention cavity nesters instead of just open
nesters.
Thanks
Darlene Sillick
Powell, Ohio