OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2010

From:
Bob Powell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Powell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Jul 2010 12:10:44 -0400
While atlassing in block 76A2SE south of Wilmington on Thursday, Larry Gara
and I heard a Dickcissel singing in a hayfield on Jenkins Road near the ABX
wastewater plant.  We were unable to find the bird, but were rewarded by
scaring up a Grasshopper Sparrow.  I saw it and Larry heard it sing. ( I
can't hear and Larry can't see, but together we add up to one pretty good
birder.)

Today we were working a little further south along Crouse Rd in the same
block when we heard a very clear Dickcissel song. We were able to find this
bird and we actually found this one and were able to confirm all the field
marks.  I even managed to get a couple of good-enough-for-government-work
photos, which can be seen at the following location:

http://picasaweb.google.com/rdp1710/ClintonCountyDickcissel?feat=directlink

We have also begun checking the spillway at Cowan Lake for shorebirds.  On
Thursday, we had 45 Killdeer and a Spotted Sandpiper, which we found
encouraging.  Today there were no Killdeer whatsoever, but we had two
Spotted Sandpipers.  One of the two was following the other around and
seemed  timid and slightly clumsy.  Unfortunately, it did openly solicit the
other for food, so we were unable to conclude it was an offspring of the
other sandpiper.  We have long suspected that spotties breed somewhere along
Cowan Creek, but have never been able to substantiate it.  My guess is that
they nest above the lake, along Cowan Creek between the bridge where
Champlin Road crosses the creek and Lotus Cove.  This area is thickly
vegetated and wooded and almost completely undisturbed.

Cheers,

Bob

--
Robert D Powell