OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2010

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Jul 2010 09:16:11 -0400
        Paul's amusing observation could probably be duplicated every day if
everyone were paying attention as well as he...well, maybe not the
hummingbird part. The other day a soaking-wet young female Cooper's was
perched on a wire behind my house, and I counted 23 smaller
birds--sparrows, finches, even a couple of rock pigeons--perched at
distances as close as fifteen feet on wires, all excitedly vocalizing or
at least looking on as if jeering. Must have been humiliating for the
young hawk.
        Cooper's hawks are often the most often observed raptor in many towns
and cities these days, but were not always part of the urban scene. A
hundred years ago they, and red-tailed hawks, were rural birds, called
"chicken-hawks" because of their predations on farm poultry. Wildlife
officials passed out free boxes of shotgun shells in huge numbers in
hopes of eradicating them and other predators.
        They and other rural birds (some red-tailed and red-shouldered hawks,
even crows) have moved closer to and into cities over recent decades,
fleeing (or maybe just surviving from) such persecutions, and benefiting
from ordinances forbidding shooting and perhaps warmer urban winter
temperatures, not to mention feeders. I wish Cooper's hawks would
specialize on house sparrows, but house sparrow flocks are quick and
markedly skittish, and it is usually native birds that suffer from
attacks on feeders. Cooper's do relish, and often catch, rock pigeons,
whose plucked skeletons I regularly uncover when I rake leaves.
P. S. See some posts under the rubric "Silent Spring" on BirdChat over
the last few days for a novel look at the Gulf oil spill:
Bill Whan
Columbus