OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2010

From:
Ken Ostermiller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ken Ostermiller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Jul 2010 10:32:04 -0400
We have enjoyed regular visits to the new Medina County Park, Krabill
Shelter, on the west side of Chippewa Lake in Medina County. You can walk to
the edge of Chippewa Lake at this park. In the spring and fall there are
often birds on the lake. During the summer the lake has many power boats, so
there is not a great number of water birds to see at this time of year.

This morning we found 31 bird species in our walk. There were several
Grasshopper Sparrows singing by the gate near the parking lot. Killdeer have
gathered in the newly hayed fields at this park. We found Willow Flycatchers
with young by the pond near the parking lot and shelter.

A couple of weeks ago, before they cut the hay, I found Bobolinks in the
tall grasses. They have gone now that the hay has been harvested.

We have kept a look out for the Bald Eagles which have nested in the
Chippewa Lake area, but have not seen them the past couple of trips to the
lake.

Below is our list from this morning's visit from eBird. Chippewa
Lake--Kraybill Shelter has been entered as a bird reporting hot spot in eBird.

Ken and Helen Ostermiller
Westfield Center, Ohio

Location:     Chippewa Lake--Krabill Shelter
Observation date:     7/11/10
Number of species:     31

Canada Goose - 8
Great Blue Heron -  2