OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2010

From:
Al La Sala <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Al La Sala <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jul 2010 21:02:24 -0400
I have seen too many decapitated tree swallows to have any sympathy at all
for house sparrows.  House sparrows have no place on any tree swallow grid
or bluebird trail.  If I find out that one is trying to use a box that I
monitor, it will meet the same fate that Darlene described in an earlier
email.

At one of the parks where I monitor boxes, I have actually had people thank
me for killing house sparrows because they eat the food left out for
cardinals and finches.  I have been known to set a ground trap in front of
my apartment because the house sparrows eat the food meant for the house
finches goldfinches, and cardinals.

I have some boxes that are being used by bluebirds and tree swallows only
because I took the time to get rid of the house sparrows.  I know of one
tree swallow that was trapped in a box at Traphagen by a house sparrow that
survived to fledge 5 young only because the monitor of that grid showed up
at just the right second.

Tree swallows and bluebirds are both insectivorous during the warmer months.
There are plenty of other birds that are insectivores so we don't need house
sparrows for insect control.

Al La Sala
House Sparrow Exterminator
Columbus, OH