OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2010

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 2010 20:19:13 -0400
There is a wonderful event this upcoming saturday, July 17th, in the heart of Amish birding country. If you need an additional excuse to visit Holmes County, this is a good one! This is probably the most accessable opportunity to rub elbows with the Amish community on their turf. There is no admission charge to attend this gathering, which runs from 8:30AM to 4PM. Whether here for an hour or for the day, there is plenty to see and do. Along with many activities and demonstrations, are lots of Amish food and homemade goodies. Robert Hershberger of "Time & Optics" will have birding accessories, from binoculars to field guides, and be available to answer your optics questions. "The Beaver Creek Wildlife Education Center" will have numerous bird and mammal mounts on display, and have volunteers available to try and answer any nature oriented questions. The festivities are at the farm of David and Emily Hershberger; to reach the site, go north out of the town of Mt Hope on SR241, when SR241 goes to the right, continue straight ahead on CR77 for one mile, turn left on TR613 and go another mile to the farm at 5119 on the right. Follow the signs. As a testimonial, my wife Denise and I were in attendance last year, it was a very rewarding experience! Hope to see you there! This hotbed of bird rarities is overdue for a sighting, maybe on saturday!

Bob Lane/Damascus