OHIO-BIRDS Archives

July 2010

From:
Tom Bain <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 13 Jul 2010 23:17:10 -0400
Peregrine fans,

Here's an intriguing statement from an observant Moravian missionary, David
Zeisberger, speaking of the Muskingum River valley, in his "History of North
American Indians" describing eastern Ohio during the American Revolution and
after, page 67:

"Of other birds of prey, there are to be found here the hawk, the
stone-falcon, that remains near the rocks, the pigeon-hawk, that pursues not
only the pigeon, but all other birds it can conquer, though it is a small
bird and not as large as the pigeon."

Tom Bain
The Clayey Till Plains
Delaware, Ohio