OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2010

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Aug 2010 17:57:40 -0400
I hiked around this MetroPark southeast of Columbus this morning looking for migrants, but with only mixed success.  The extended nice weather appears to have allowed many birds to leave without pushing any replacement migrants from further north.  Warblers were especially difficult to find, and I only had 2 small mixed flocks.  ONe of the surprisingly good spots was at the far SE corner of the park, where Blacklick Creek and the new bikepath turn and go under I-70; the trees there had a fair number of stalled migrants.  Notables for the morning included:

Hummingbirds - still many coming through, with 4+ here away from feeders (and 2-3 more at nearby Big Walnut Park)

Flycatchers - Pewees are still abundant; I even had adults feeding youngsters.  Also had a bit of a boost in Acadian Flycatchers, with 2-3 at Blacklick and 2 more at Big Walnut.

Swallows - nothing but Barn Swallows, and not very many of them.

Vireos - only Red-eyed, but had several of them still singing

Thrushes - 2 Wood Thrushes were calling from around Ashton Pond, but the only other thrushes were Robins

Warblers - paltry numbers:  3 Magnolia, 2 Redstarts, 1 Tennessee, 2 Blackburnian, 1 Black-thr.Green (Big Walnut), 1 Black& White, 2 Common Yellowthroats.  The forest edges were very quiet (except for Pewees).