OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2010

From:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nancy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Aug 2010 17:40:37 -0700
I haven't been to Villa Angela or Wildwood State Parks on the east side of Cleveland much this summer. (E. 174th & Lakeshore Blvd) It's has been really hot for me and I don't think there are many interesting birds there during mid summer.  Since I had been gone a week and hadn't been there for two weeks I stopped there today around noon.  It was very muggy and buggy and didn't start raining until around 3pm.  I found all of my warblers in Villa Angela, most southwest of the bathhouse.  As the afternoon wore on some of the warblers were seen further down west of the grassy knoll.  I only found one warbler in the field.  Of course I did start late, but I believe the approaching rain helped.  I never made it to Wildwood which is east of the main road because of the activity in Villa Angela.  Here are some of the birds I saw which is basically warblers:

Wood Thrush 1
Cooper's Hawk 1
Flycatchers 2

Warblers:
Blue-winged 1
Yellow 4
Chestnut-sided 1 (1st winter female)
Magnolia 4
Black-and-white 1 probably 2
American Redstart 6
MOURNING   1 male (probably 2 Mournings)
Wilsons's 6-7
Canada 2

The Mourning Warbler was continually making a noticable "chi" type call and was ridiculously easy to refind from its call after I figured out what it was.  It started in the plantings south of the asphalt path running west of bathhouse, went into woods and last seen west of grassy knoll on both sides of path into woods.  Always moving low through the thick bushes.  That's when I felt there were two of them.

Nancy Anderson
Richmond Hts, OH
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nancy_a/