OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2010

From:
Matt Valencic <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Matt Valencic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Aug 2010 21:09:41 -0400
After leaving Nancy Anderson and Villa Angela (I only saw 1 warbler in 2
hours - Nancy is more patient then me!) I ventured to Chagrin River Park off
Lost Nation Road in Mentor.  Not much more seen than at Villa Angela except
for one patch of grasses and tall, yellow flowers behind the picnic area,
about 1 - 2 acres in size.  It held Indigo Buntings (I counted 13 at one
time), Goldfinches (more than 2 dozen) and several song  sparrows.  The
Indigo Buntings varied from full blue to 'splotchy blue & brown to all brown
(ages and stages I guess!).  They were mostly among the grasses and flowers
and the camera was useless.  However, the binocs made for excellent viewing
and I just enjoyed seeing so any blue birds in one spot.

Many juvenile Cardinals along the river path keeping their parents busy
gathering green caterpillars!

It was sort of ironic . at Villa Angela Nancy asked me about carrying the
camera (w/400mm lens on tripod) and binoculars and what was I doing!  I
agreed that it is awkward but I just can't get rid of the urge to document
the birds I see.  The buntings showed just how useless the camera can be in
dense cover (always focusing on stems and birds just a blur).

By the way . I am still crazy about those Vortex Viper 8 x 42's!  The best
money I have invested in birding gear to date!

Matt Valencic

Chagrin Falls, OH