OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2010

From:
Aaron Milenski <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Aaron Milenski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Aug 2010 23:15:33 -0400
It was another beautiful Sunday evening at Sandy Ridge.   One highlight
of the night was the bald eagle, on a tree right next to the walkway.  We've
seen the eagle on trees out in the middle of the water at night before, but
this was the closest look we've ever had at it.  The other highlight was
four sandhill cranes, one of which gloriously trumpeted for us.   In addition
we saw many sandpipers.  I wish I had been with someone who has more
experience with them than me, but I know we saw greater and lesser
yellowlegs, semipalmated sandpipers, and at least one other species
(solitary?  non-breeding-plumage spotted?)  We also saw the resident
sora, the first time I have seen it there.  As far as I could tell, among the
many ducks there was nothing unusual, but again I'm not experienced
enough to know if there were black ducks or other hard-to-identify species.
We also saw all of the other usuals: several red-headed woodpeckers, including
at least two juvenile, about 30 great egrets, several great blue herons,
kingfishers, tons of tree and barn swallows, a kingbird, an unidentifed empid
flycatcher, killdeer, downy woodpeckers, etc...

Aaron Milenski, Lakewood