OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2010

Date:
Mon, 23 Aug 2010 15:55:59 -0400
This morning I combined maintenance on my nest boxes with looking for shorebirds at Hoover Reservoir. The area I was at ran along the east shore from the island just north of the Eastshore Yacht Club to just below the south side of the small island where the Osprey Platform is located. Currently there are extensive mudflats in this area and the shorebirds are starting to show good numbers. The shorebirds were located as I went one way along the shoreline, then I took the old road on the way back where I picked up most of the songbirds. The shorebirds were forced to move twice, first when a boat with fishermen came along the edge of the reservoir, then when a Peregrine Falcon buzzed them. The falcon put on quite a show for me before it spotted an immature Bald Eagle and chased it towards the yacht club. A Marbled Godwit was a pleasant surprise at the mudflats off the northern old bridge along the old road. It was feeding near a group of 8 Short-billed Dowitchers. The Godwit’s larger size and longer upturned bill versus the Dowitcher’s downturned bill were very obvious and made identification easy. The northern end of Hoover Reservoir should begin to provide decent shorebirding through September. The easiest location is probably from the boardwalk at Area M although we diehards will walk the old road to see more of the area. As I headed home I saw Rob Thorn’s car and he has posted more items.
Just a reminder for those planning on birding in the area – the bridge into Galena from the west via Old 3C Highway is out. Either come to the area using North Galena Road off SR 3 or by coming north on Sunbury Road.
Charlie Bombaci
SPECIES LIST
11 Double-crested Cormorant
33 Great Blue Heron