OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2010

From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Aug 2010 08:13:28 -0400
...to see a shrike, please keep this request from our neighbors to the
north in mind:

                LOGGERHEAD SHRIKE SIGHTINGS

          Loggerhead shrikes are declining across much of their
range.  In Canada, the Eastern subspecies is considered critically
endangered, with less than 35 pairs found in 2009. The vast majority
of pairs now breed in Ontario.  An extremely active and multi-faceted
recovery program is underway for this species in Ontario, including a
captive breeding and release program.
          This program has been releasing approximately 100 juvenile
shrikes annually since 2006.  While much is known and has been
learned about this species, a critical piece of the puzzle is still
missing:  where exactly do these birds spend the winter?
          To maximize our chances of locating wintering areas and
better define migration routes we will be coloring the breast of
released young produced from the captive breeding program, to make
them more detectable by birders. Birds will be released over July and
August.
          Birds will have an extensive area of their breast colored in
green, blue or purple.  All released birds, and a large proportion of
the wild population, are also color banded.
          If you see a shrike with a colored breast and/or wearing
bands, please report it to Wildlife Preservation Canada at (EM:
jessica AT wildlifepreservation.ca, PH: 519-836-9314, FX: 519-836-8840).
We will need details about specific location (GPS coordinates are
ideal, but not essential) and color(s) (breast and/or bands) seen.