OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2010

Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 2010 12:00:38 -0400
Today around 9:30 am I hit the trails at Blacklick Woods Metro Park and was rewarded with some decent land migrants and some fun times with the warblers. I stuck to the middle of the woods and on Maple and Walter Tucker trails I had the following highlights:
Chestnut-sided Warbler - 6 many first years
Black-and-white Warbler - 1
American Redstart - 2
Magnolia Warbler - 2
Common Yellowthroat - 1
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher - 2
Common Nighthawk - 1 roosting high on tree limb along Walter Tucker connecting trail
Wood Thrush - 1
Field Sparrow - 1 juv.
Indigo Bunting - 1
Barred Owl - 1
Northern Flicker - 3
Hairy Woodpecker - 2
Downy Woodpecker - 4
Chimney Swift - 4
Broad-winged Hawk - 1
At the feeders we had several juv. E. Towhees which are interesting to see, as well as a good variety of other birds
Good birding
-Ben Warner
www.metroparks.net for maps.