OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2010

From:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 2010 19:28:03 -0400
I worked my way up Big Walnut Creek this morning, starting at Woodside Green Park in Gahanna, then hitting Academy Park and Cherrybottom Park, before finishing at the Sugarbush Trail in Blendon Woods (which is just a long stone's throw from Cherrybottom Park).  Lots of migrants, though the warbler diversity was a little thin.  Highlights included:

Ruby-throated Hummingbirds - 20+, at all locations.  They appear to be moving through in good #s.

E.WoodPewees- also in good numbers, with 3-6 at each location.

Empidonax - 3-4 Acadian were at Woodside Green early, while a Willow was at Academy Park

Great Crested Flycatchers - 1-2 at every stop, which are good numbers for this sometimes-secretive flycatcher

Vireos - mostly Red-eyed, which were in low numbers (1-2) at every location, but Academy Park had 1 Warbling Vireo

Gnatcatchers - a good second wave, with 2-3 birds at every stop.

Warblers - no great numbers, but an interesting selection that included Tennessee (1 at Blendon), Chesnut-sided (6+, with individuals at every stop; all first-year birds), Magnolia (4, with 3 of those at Woodside Green), Blackburnian (1 at WoodsideGreen, 1 at Academy), Restart (5, at all stops), Black&White (1 at Academy)

Tanagers - calling Scarlet and Summer still at Blendon

Bunting,Grosbeak - Indigos at several spots, but the only Rose-br.Grosbeak was at the far end of the Sugarbush Trail in Blendon

Orioles - juveniles at Academy and Cherrybottom Parks