OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2010

[log in to unmask][log in to unmask], 12 Aug 2010 02:50:20 +0000613_iso-8859-1 Greetings -

The Arctic Tern was easily found and observed at 6:30 p.m. this evening, the 11th, on the beach at Maumee Bay State Park. Many thanks to Kenn, and also to Greg for getting word out quickly via the listservs. A great bird. A few photos are up on my blog, giving the viewer a realistic semi-distant view of the bird (with good comparison of surrounding species)as it rested amidst the large grouping of Common, Forster's, and Caspian Terns, and Herring, Ring-billed, and Bonaparte's Gulls. When resting amidst the hoard, the Arctic preferred to centralize its location within the [...]47_12Aug201002:50:[log in to unmask]
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 2010 12:24:54 -0400
"Pelican Island", Hoover Reservoir (near the east Shore Yacht Club). This morning I and my friend Peter, and later Mike (Yough?), Got to bird the east shore Mudflats (previously reported on by C.B. and R.T.) And just right (north) of the walking bridge when facing the reservoir, on the large muddy and grassy peninsula, we had a single BUFF-BREASTED SANDPIPER  (juv.) out picking around the grass. I am a huge fan of those guys. Other birds present in this area:
Baird's Sandpiper - 4+ all juvenile
Short-billed Dowitcher - 10 all juv.
Least Sandpiper - a few juv.
Semipalm. Sandpiper - 20 juv.
Greater Yellowlegs - 2 adult
Lesser Yellowlegs - 10+
Solitary Sandpiper - 2
Spotted Sandpiper - 2 juv. 1 adult non-breeding
Pectoral Sandpiper - 12+ adults and juv.
Semipalm. Plover - 8
Killdeer - 50
Caspian Terns
D.C. Cormorants
Northern Shoveler - 2
Green Winged Teal -2
Great Egret - 6
Green Heron - 2
Great Blue Heron - 10
etc.
I checked the boardwalk at Galena and found a few Solitary, Least, Semipalm, Pectoral, and Spotted Sandpipers, as well as Semipalm. Plovers, Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs, Osprey, Great Egrets, Green Heron, Belted Kingfisher etc.
Good Birding,
- Ben Warner