OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2010

From:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
robert lane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 2010 21:44:40 -0400
     The Mississippi Kite Day, definitely ranks right at the top of our list of memorable sightings. The setting, the people, the timing, and obviously the four Kites. We will probably never have an opportunity to witness an event like the one we attended this past saturday morning. From being there on the perfect day to be able to see all the Kite activities; from the parents at two locations feeding the youngsters, to the Kite vocalizations, to the acrobatic aerial displays, to the in the air interactions with the Broad-winged Hawks, to the neat scope site at the benches to view the first Ohio Mississippi Kite nest. When you could see the excitement in three seasoned birders like Bill Jones, Jay Lehman, and Jerry Talkington; you know that day was something special! Gratitude goes to Elizabeth vanBalen Delphia and her husband Michael, for making us aware of their amazing backyard birds and hosting the sixty plus biders that came. The residents and the staff of Hide-A-Way-Hills accepted us invasive birders with a sense of hospitality! A thank you to Jim McCormac for the great service he did of coordinating the setup of this wonderful three hour event. Hopefully the Kites will return next year, and we will also be invited back, to do this again. What an outstanding experience it was for a group of birders to share. As the saying goes: Priceless!!!

Bob and Denise Lane / Damascus