OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2010

From:
inga schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
inga schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Aug 2010 10:21:24 -0400
I had a very similar observation (without photos) and similar
confusion. The bird was
fairly bright and felt a bit hooded, but I could never really get a
clear look at it.
I considered mourning warbler, but leaned towards orange crowned.
Perhaps because
I'd seen them here before in the same habitat, but decidedly plainer,
duller birds.

Is there anything in the behavior that could help to separate the two
species.  This
bird was foraging in my field, staying on the stems of various stiff
clumps of grasses or
the stems of mowed buckthorn clumps.  It stayed in one clump for
several minutes,
never getting above the level of the surrounding grasses, and then it
would shoot off
to another clump providing brief glimpses.

Inga Schmidt
Geauga Co.