OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2010

From:
Kim Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
[log in to unmask][log in to unmask], 12 Aug 2010 02:50:20 +0000613_iso-8859-1 Greetings -

The Arctic Tern was easily found and observed at 6:30 p.m. this evening, the 11th, on the beach at Maumee Bay State Park. Many thanks to Kenn, and also to Greg for getting word out quickly via the listservs. A great bird. A few photos are up on my blog, giving the viewer a realistic semi-distant view of the bird (with good comparison of surrounding species)as it rested amidst the large grouping of Common, Forster's, and Caspian Terns, and Herring, Ring-billed, and Bonaparte's Gulls. When resting amidst the hoard, the Arctic preferred to centralize its location within the [...]47_12Aug201002:50:[log in to unmask]
Date:
Fri, 27 Aug 2010 10:28:04 -0400
Two things to add/share:

1) Lake Erie Public Access Guide
We've got 'em at Black Swamp Bird Observatory (BSBO) too. We're located at
the entrance to Magee Marsh Wildlife Area and are currently open Fridays,
Saturdays, and Sundays from 11:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.  If we can't entice you
to come out to BSBO, Magee Marsh, and Ottawa National Wildlife Refuge this
weekend to pick up the guide, then see number 2).

2) Fall Migration
It's definitely under way.  While the numbers banded at our main research
station (behind Davis Besse Nuclear Power Plant, just a few miles east of
Magee Marsh) were low overall yesterday, they still had seven species of
warblers: Magnolia, Chestnut-sided, Black-and-white, Canada, Mourning,
Common Yellowthroat, and Ovenbird.
We also had several migrants visiting the water feature at BSBO, including
Magnolia, Wilson's, Yellow, and Nashville Warblers, and one lovely Veery.
If you can tune out the din of hundreds of recently fledged American
Goldfinches begging to be fed :  ) BSBO's window on wildlife is a great
place to watch for migrants.

Oh, I almost forgot... Okay, three things to share!
2a) Most people consider some birds to be nonmigratory, like Northern
Cardinals, for example. But, last fall we banded a Northern Cardinal at our
main site behind Davis Besse, in Ottawa County, and get this, it was
recaptured at another one of our research sites this spring -- at Shaker
Lakes Nature Center near Cleveland!  Not exactly the migration sensation of
some terns and shorebirds, but not too shabby for a Cardinal, eh?!  That's
what I love so much about birds -- there's always something new to discover
if we just go out and look! Even a bird as "common" as the Northern
Cardinal still has some secrets to share.

Thanks,

Kimberly Kaufman
Executive Director
Black Swamp Bird Observatory