OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2010

From:
Darlene Sillick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Darlene Sillick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Aug 2010 12:53:16 -0400
From John Lennon, Columbus Ohio:

From: John Lennon [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Sunday, August 29, 2010 11:31 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Can you post this Darlene

Ivory billed woodpecker

I second Jeffery Cullen's comments.  I spent a January in Arkansas with the
Cornell people and never enjoyed a vacation more.  We spent all day walking
through the woods without regard to staying on trails, or canoeing through
swamps and then came home after dark to talk with our fellow searchers, all
very interesting people.  I got to see my first bobcat, learned about
greenbriar, will never forget what a yellow bellied sapsucker sounds like or
where hermit thrushes spend the winter, or forget almost having a heart
attack when a turkey looked over a log at me while I was staking out a big
hole about dark.  I also lost nine pounds.  Dot com bubbles, housing bubbles
and probably gold bubbles may hurt a lot of people, but I can't see any
downside to an ivory billed woodpecker bubble.

And I'm not so sure about the standards necessary for proof of something's
existance.  If Jim McCormic or Bill Whan or Ken Kauffman tell me they've
seen a Mississippi kite or a raven in Ohio,  or arctic tern, I'd believe
those birds exist and were seen.  I don't have a problem with wanting a
picture for official documentation, but that's not always as easy as it
sounds.  I tried frequently to take pictures of piliated woodpeckers in
Arkansas, just for practice in case I saw the real thing, but never could
get a good one.  Those aren't like Metro Park birds - get close and they
leave, and it's not easy to sneak up on something when you're walking
through dry leaves.

My immediate disappointment is there are no screenings scheduled for Ohio.
I'm going to call the Drexel Art Theater about that - maybe others could
too.