OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2010

From:
Terry and Heli <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Terry and Heli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Aug 2010 21:08:32 -0400
This evening there were more nighthawks swirling around the skies along the roads near Sandy Ridge in Lorain County than
I have ever seen. There were at least 2 groups of 20 to 30 of them mixed in with starlings that were fly catching. It was quite an air show.
They were over over the small farm with the cow and by the housing development.

There was an American woodcock no more than 10 feet of the forest trail digging for worms. It paid no attention to us. When we walked by on the return
in was nestled in the leaves in the same spot wiggling its stubby tail feathers at us.

A very young hawk, possibly a red tail was sitting on the parking signs in the parking lot. It had dark spots on its breast like a wood thrush but the under side of the tail was
white. It seemed very stressed.  It paid little attention to people walking by only 20 feet away. It could fly but it only moved to the other side of the parking lot
even though there were a lot of people milling about.