OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2010

From:
Scott Albaugh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Scott Albaugh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Aug 2010 22:12:02 -0400
I have been conducting home-made Common Nighthawk surveys in my Belmont
County yard for two consecutive years.  Tonight was the best night yet with
the largest flocks that I've seen.  Prior to this evening the highest number
of birds in any one flock was 26.  Mostly I would see singles and doubles
flying relatively low over the ground.  The birds travel in all directions
with a near majority curiously heading north.

This evening, for the first time, I saw large swirling flocks at much higher
altitudes than birds seen previously.  There were two south bound flocks;
one of 30 and the other of 40 (estimate.)  I also saw two flocks that
appeared to be north bound; one of 22 and one of 61.

This whole nighthawks flying north thing has me quite confused.  When they
were singles and doubles flying low, I just thought maybe they were staging
somewhere and would fly south in a few days with a large group.  But tonight
I saw two groups very high in the sky disappear to the north.  Confusing...

Counting the usual singles and doubles flying low, I ended up with 160
birds.  That is nearly 40 more than I had in the complete 12 hours of
surveying last year.

I intend to write up the results of my home-made surveys and I will share
them with the group.  Stay tuned...

Scott Albaugh
Belmont County