OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2010

From:
Lee Underschultz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lee Underschultz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Aug 2010 15:04:07 -0400
I had a dentist appointment today in Williamstown, WV. I actually arrived
about a half an hour early so I took advantage of it and made a short trip
over to the wetland area next to DaVinci's restaurant. The first thing that
caught my attention was something dark in the middle of the duckweed at the
end of the wetland farthest from the restaurant. I pulled up my binoculars
to see two large snapping turtles wrestling away. When one of them rested
and put his head down with just the front of his shell exposed above the
duckweed you would never have known that it was a snapper. It looked just
like the end of an old hollow log poking out.

Then some motion to the left of the turtles caught my attention. I looked
through my binoculars and spotted a beautiful little Solitary Sandpiper.
That was about 11 am. I stopped by after my appointment around 12:30pm and
it was still there, bobbing its head and picking through the duckweed over
the mud.

At the other end of the wetland were some Wood Ducks (juveniles and females)
and a Green Heron. Along with the basking smaller turtles. I can't tell you
what kind since they were entirely covered with duckweed.

Lee Underschultz
Firefly Hollow
Little Hocking, OH
www.fhsigns.com