OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2010

[log in to unmask][log in to unmask]

> Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 09:26:33 -0400
> From: Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: The Big Year
>
> There are a couple of interesting comments and links about the
> upcoming
> movie "The Big Year" over recent days on the Missouri list at
> http://www.birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/MOBD.html . My brother told
> me
> he and his wife were driving up Vancouver [...]41_10Aug201003:50:[log in to unmask]
Date:
Mon, 9 Aug 2010 01:33:07 -0400
The Wilson's Phalarope immature was still at Blue Wing Pond, Pickerington Ponds Metro Park. I joined Jim Fry and another birder at 8:15 pm and the Black-bellied Plover had not been seen since earlier that night. The Phal and others were there until 9 at the end of useable light, an American WoodcockBut here is a list of what was there:
Wilson's Phalarope  - 1
Short-billed Dowitcher - 2

Lesser Yellowlegs - 10
Greater Yellowlegs - 2
Pectoral Sandpiper - 15+
Least Sandpiper - 10+
Semipalm sandpiper - 3+
Spotted Sandpiper - 4+
Semipalmated Plover - 1
Killdeer - 25+
American Woodcock- 1
Green Heron
Great Blue Heron
Great Egret - 16
Blue Winged Teal - 1 female with very young Ducklings
Wood Duck
Mallard
Canada Goose
etc.

At nearby Blacklick Woods We've been having a good variety of birds at the feeders and elsewhere in the park. The Barred Owl youngsters have been putting on up close and personal shows and an American Woodcock crossed the path there today. At the feeders we've had lots of young cardinals and quite a few Ruby-throated Hummingbirds, adult and juvenile Towhees, juv. Red-bellied Woodpeckers, Field and Song Sparrows (as well as White-tailed Deer, Raccoons, Cottontail, and 3 types of squirrels at the feeders). The Indigo Buntings, Wood Thrush, Common Yellowthroat, Scarlet Tanager, Acadian Flycatcher, Blue Gray Gnatcatcher, Eastern Wood Pewee, and Cedar Waxwings were also detected today.
Good Birding,
 -Ben Warner
Naturalist Int. at Blacklick Woods Metro Park.