OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2010

From:
Leidy Gabe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leidy Gabe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Aug 2010 13:45:33 -0700
Mo Bacik and I enjoyed leisurely surveys of Pipe Creek (Erie
Hey all -

Mo Bacik and I enjoyed leisurely surveys of Pipe Creek (Erie Co.) and Pickerel
Creek (Sandusky Co.) Wildlife Areas, today.  Pipe Creek's Unit C continues as
the hot spot, hosting a pair of AMERICAN AVOCETS as the highlight.  A flyby
LAUGHING GULL on the bay was also a treat here, and Snowy Egret numbers
have risen to 13.  We made an effort for the Yellow-headed Blackbird, but no
luck.  At Pickerel, high water continues to plague most of the impoundments that
were oh so productive a mere two weeks ago.  Hard to say after the hard rains
whether these units will be able to return to their low levels without human
intervention.  There was slight improvement, however, and the pond across from
the orchid field on CR 256 contained 39 dowitchers and a similar number of
yellowlegs.  A young LITTLE BLUE HERON was found in the lowered impoundment
along CR 259, just east of Green Creek.

Good birding -
Gabe Leidy
Parma