OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2010

From:
Kenn Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kenn Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Aug 2010 15:06:31 -0400
Regarding the Arctic Tern at Maumee Bay S.P., Lucas Co., n.w. Ohio:  After
showing well for a while when I was there alone this morning, it disappeared
and several of us were unable to relocate it between about 11 a.m. and 1
p.m., when I left.  However, I've just heard from Greg Links that the bird
reappeared and he was looking at it at about 2:40 p.m.

There are a lot of Common and Forster's terns at MBSP now.  A number of the
adult Commons, as is usual for this time of year, have the bill essentially
all-red, lacking the black tip; and when these birds are also very gray
below, it can be tempting to "turn them into" Arctics.  However, the Arctic
there today had the bill very dark, looking black at a distance.  The bird
stands out as being somewhat darker gray than the Commons present, very
short-legged when standing, with the primaries (long feathers of the
wingtip) all looking the same shade of dark silvery gray.  In flight, the
wing pattern is distinctive, with a very narrow dark trailing edge showing
on most of the outer primaries, as illustrated in all the standard field
guides.  I got a few distant photos of this individual this morning, and
I'll try to post them soon.

At any rate, for anyone considering a run to MBSP, the bird was there a few
minutes ago, per Greg Links.

Kenn Kaufman
Oak Harbor, Ohio