OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2010

Date:
Wed, 11 Aug 2010 23:42:28 -0400
 Now that I'm back home, just a couple of other notes on the Arctic Tern. Be sure to take a look at Kenn + Jen's photos (I forgot my camera) and note the bill color- as Kenn stated if you were looking for a "breeding" Arctic Tern, you might be confused by many of the Common's that have lost the black tip on their bill- the bill on this bird is very dark. Also, there were flocks of terns (Common and Forster's) on the main beach, on the water, and on the beach of the "lagoon" just south of the beach while I was there- all these spots are worth checking. Also a lot were flying overhead and out over the lake. The last place I saw the Arctic was flying out and landing with the flock on the water.

Also of note were a Greater Yellowlegs and a Spotted Sandpiper on the shore of the "lagoon"

Good luck!

Steve Landes