OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2010

From:
Kim Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 13 Aug 2010 09:47:57 -0400
Hello Everyone,

If you're planning on making the trip to see if the Arctic Tern is still
around at Maumee Bay State Park,
(I haven't heard of any sightings of the bird since yesterday morning), you
might want to plan enough time for a walk at Ottawa National Wildlife
Refuge.  I just received word from Mark Shieldcastle that while scouting
for tomorrow's Hike The Dikes he spotted a Little Blue Heron on Refuge Unit
8a.  The bird was with a group of 33 Snowy Egrets.

Here's a map showing where Unit 8a is:
http://www.bsbo.org/birding/pdf/OttawaNWRMap-Overview.pdf
It's on the north side of the woodlot that's right behind the new Visitor's
Center.  Access to that area is from the parking lot west of the old
visitor's center.  On the map you'll see a box marked: PARKING FOR TRAILS;
START OF AUTO TOUR.  If you go, please take some water with you!  It's
supposed to be another warm day and getting to Unit 8a will require a bit
of walking.

For those who can't get up here today, maybe you could join us for the Hike
The Dikes (HTD) that begins tomorrow morning at 9:00 a.m. at the
Sportsmen's Migratory Bird Center at Magee Marsh Wildlife Area. HTD is a
partnership between Ottawa National Wildlife Refuge, Magee Marsh Wildlife
Area, and Black Swamp Bird Observatory.  These walks are held throughout
the year and take you into places normally off-limits to the public. The
walks are open to all ages, last approximately 2 hours (we've been known to
go longer if there's a lot to see!), and are offered free of charge.  Mark
& Julie Shieldcastle are the leaders of tomorrow's walk and they know this
area well, having studied birds in this region for more than 30 years.
Members of the Ohio Young Birders Club will be hosting their monthly field
trip tomorrow and will be joining us for part of the trip.

Thanks and stay cool!

~kim

Kimberly Kaufman
Executive Director