OHIO-BIRDS Archives

August 2010

From:
Geoff Malosh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Geoff Malosh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Aug 2010 16:26:16 -0400
The 8 American Avocets I reported earlier were later joined by two more, and the flock of 10 gamely tolerated an ever increasing amount of disturbance until around 2:30p, when 3 of them departed. The final straw for the other 7 came in the form of a truck that almost ran them over, even though they were standing in water 30 feet off the beach. They departed around 3:45p.

The flyover Marbled Godwit was not seen again.

The Stilt Sandpiper was last seen around 11:30a after it posed for some close-up portraits earlier.

A Baird's Sandpiper that played hide-and-seek with a few observers in the morning was finally confirmed at 1:00p and is still present at this writing. Probably the same bird as was reported yesterday.

Other shorebirds today:

Black-bellied Plover 1 (flyover adult, did not stop)
Semipalmated Plover ~25
Killdeer
Least Sandpiper ~30
Semipalmated Sandpiper ~20
Sanderling 6
Pectoral Sandpiper 1
Short-billed Dowitcher 7 (6 juv, 1 ad)

Others:

Blue-winged Teal 1
Bald Eagle 4
Caspian Tern several
Forster's Tern 4

Twelve shorebird species was better than I expected, and the Avocets put on one heck of a show. Quite worth the drive from Pittsburgh!

Geoff Malosh
Pittsburgh